- 1 Lawn Sweeper Buying Guide
- 1.1 What Is a Lawn Sweeper?
- 1.2 How Does a Lawn Sweeper Work?
- 1.3 The Two Types of Lawn Sweepers
- 1.4 What Makes a Lawn Sweeper So Useful?
- 1.5 What to Consider When Finding a Lawn Sweeper?
- 2 A Comparison of the 7 Best Lawn Sweepers
- 3 A Closer Look At Your Best Choices
- 3.1 1. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper – For Larger Yards
- 3.2 2. Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper – For Extra Control
- 3.3 3. Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Law Sweeper – For a Greater Variety of Debris
- 3.4 4. Ohio Power 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush – A Simplified Approach for Work
- 3.5 5. Sun Joe AJ801E 13 in. 12 amp Electric Lawn Dethatcher – For Compact Yards
- 3.6 6. Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper – For a Better Grip
- 3.7 7. Karcher 1.766-303.0 S650 Cleaner – A Quick Option for Paved Spots
- 4 Conclusion
It is challenging enough to try and clean off all those leaves and other bits of debris from your yard. You’ll need a machine powerful enough to collect all those items without harming your yard. That’s where a lawn sweeper will come in handy.
A lawn sweeper is a device that helps you clean up leaves and other things from around your yard. It can be a necessity if you struggle with cleaning up your yard. It also works if you don’t want to risk any damage to the grass.
You’ve got many lawn sweepers to choose from today, but it can be a challenge to figure out which is right for your needs. Let’s look at seven of the best lawn sweepers you can utilize.
Lawn Sweeper Buying Guide
What Is a Lawn Sweeper?
A lawn sweeper is a yard tool that essentially replaces your rake. A sweeper is a tool you push across your yard to collect debris. It works in collecting leaves, grass clippings, and other small things. The tool helps you keep your yard clean without risking lots of debris being spread all around.
Some lawn sweepers may also work when you’re trying to remove thatch and other thick bits of debris during the spring season. You can also administer seed and other items around your yard through a sweeper if necessary.
How Does a Lawn Sweeper Work?
A lawn sweeper doesn’t need an outside power source for it to work. You would use the sweeper by either pushing or pulling the unit. Some sweepers require you to push them, while others can be towed behind a tractor or other item.
The sweeper features a few brushes that connect to an axle. The axle links to the rotating wheels on the sweeper body. The wheels will rotate while in motion to allow the brushes to go through the grass and other features all around. The unit will pick up grass clippings and other bits of debris that it finds.
The debris the sweeper collects will go in the rear hopper. The part may also be called a bag. You would then empty the hopper when it is full. The components can be disposed of like with any other yard waste you collect.
Most models are manually-operated, but there are some electric versions available. Those electric models are for smaller yards and do not take in as many materials, but they can be easy to utilize.
The Two Types of Lawn Sweepers
You will find two kinds of lawn sweepers:
A tow-behind model requires you to affix the unit to the back of a lawn tractor or riding mower. The tow-behind unit needs extra space for collecting its items. It has a greater capacity, and it is ideal for large yards. But it does require extra care on occasion, not to mention it can be tough to secure on some tractors.
A push sweeper is a traditional model that you’ll use yourself. It is best for smaller lawns. A push sweeper weighs less, but it doesn’t have the power to collect as many items.
What Makes a Lawn Sweeper So Useful?
There are many positives of a lawn sweeper to note:
- A lawn sweeper makes it easier for you to collect debris.
- The sweeper can gather plenty of items and not spread them all around your yard.
- It is easier to clear off items with a sweeper. You don’t have to bring lots of things to one part of your yard and then struggle to clear them off once more.
- A sweeper is safer to use than a traditional rake. Some raking items might scrape the bottom of your yard and tear up the grass. A sweeper is more efficient in managing your yard and keeping it from tearing.
What to Consider When Finding a Lawn Sweeper?
Here are a few things to note when looking for a quality lawn sweeper for your yard care needs:
What It Collects
Lawn sweepers do well with collecting debris in many forms. But you should ensure the sweeper you do utilize is built well enough to collect whatever you need to gather.
The sweeping materials should do well in gathering grass and leaves. Be sure your model can also collect acorns, small twigs, and other things that might stick around.
Regardless of what your sweeper gathers, it does help to gather the trash from your yard before use. You should avoid trying to collect things like empty chip bags, old aluminum cans, or other things people might leave behind.
The hopper capacity is measured in cubic feet. A model with a greater capacity total can work for a while before you have to empty the component. But it might also be heavier.
The weight of your hopper should be noted to see that you have something easy to tow and use. The hopper shouldn’t weigh too much to where you might struggle with gathering it. For a tow-behind model, the hopper should not weight enough to where it would bog dog your riding mower or tractor.
Brush to Wheel Ratio
The brush to wheel ratio is a measure of the number of times a brush rotates in one turn of the wheel. A quality sweeper needs a brush to wheel ratio of 5:1 or greater. The high ratio means that a sweeper is turning quickly enough to gather all the debris around your yard.
The width of your sweeper refers to how much space the sweeper will go over at a time. A wider model will collect more debris at once.
The wheels should be large enough to go over your property, but not to where they might tear things up. The wheels should provide enough clearance for the hopper to let it go over the yard without directly coming on contact with the turf bed.
You should also use the sweeper responsibly. Sudden motions and unusual shifts might cause the wheels to scrape your yard. The point is regardless of how large the wheels are or how the mechanism for the sweeper works.
A Comparison of the 7 Best Lawn Sweepers
A Closer Look At Your Best Choices
1. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper – For Larger Yards
A useful tow-behind sweeper is perfect for when you have a larger yard that needs extra help. The Agri-Fab 45-0492 sweeper features a 44-inch body that is suitable for extensive yard needs.
The 25-cubic foot hopper fills up well and takes in items through a convenient port. The design keeps debris covered before you clear it out of the bag. The dump handle on the end part helps you keep a good hold over the sweeper while preventing it from disposing of debris all over the place when you finish.
The attachment feature makes it easy for you to connect the hopper and make it work behind a tractor. The universal hitch is compatible with all major brands.
You can also collapse the sweeper down when not in use to about 30 percent of its size. The feature helps when you need to store it during the winter season.
Four brushes appear on the body to sweep debris into the hopper. A small latch near the wheels lets you adjust the brush height. You can switch the height around based on how high the grass is growing and how the debris appears.
- Easy to adjust the brush height
- The 5.6:1 brush to wheel ratio provides a fast approach to collecting items
- Fast to assemble and install to the back of your tractor
- The brushes might become improperly aligned
- Weighs more than 70 pounds
2. Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper – For Extra Control
Having a sweeper that is easy to control and can work at various heights is always a plus. This Ohio Steel sweeper provides the option to control how high or low the item is, giving you extra control over how the sweeper works.
The sweeper uses a five-position hitch that goes well on the back part of your tractor. You can switch between positions on the hitch in moments. It works well when you’re trying to get deeper down around your yard. The feature also helps when you need to lift it a bit for when the debris is too massive.
The 42-inch sweeper size is great for large-scale projects. You can also add 26 cubic feet of items inside the hopper for further collection and support needs. You’ll also notice a simple port for moving items out of the hopper when everything is full. The sweeper weighs close to a hundred pounds, but it doesn’t require lots of effort to move or pull.
- The hitch end is easy to lift
- The wheels have even grooves and can handle many surfaces
- The bag is easy to empty and tilt back
- You cannot compact it to a smaller size for storage purposes
- No controls around the wheels
3. Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Law Sweeper – For a Greater Variety of Debris
You can also use this Brinly sweeper when you have more debris that you wish to clear. The sweeper is useful for how it collects leaves, grass clippings, thatch, and pine needles among other items. The 20-cubic foot hopper can gather all of these items and more. The 42-inch width also gathers enough items in no time.
There are six high-speed brushes on the inside. These parts move when you tow the sweeper along and will collect everything in moments. You can adjust how high these brushes appear to the ground. The 5:1 ratio for collecting items ensures you’ll have more control over even the smallest bits of debris you’re trying to clear.
The storage hopper has enough borders all around to prevent things from leaking out. You’ll have an easy time removing the debris on the inside and making it work as soon as possible.
The collapsible body of the sweeper is also convenient. You can store the sweeper upright to keep it from taking up lots of room all around.
- The height adjustment feature near the wheels works in moments
- The hopper is easy to remove and manage
- Not as heavy as other tow-behind models[/i2pros]
- May be tough to use if the tractor is going too fast
- May struggle with some smaller needles
- Hard to clean sticky items out from the inside part of the sweeper
4. Ohio Power 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush – A Simplified Approach for Work
People who don’t want something too complicated can appreciate what this Ohio Power tow-behind sweeper uses. The Ohio Power sweeper features a spiral brush design that flows well and presents a basic approach to cleaning your yard. It offers a low-maintenance setup and doesn’t take much time to arrange and use.
The brush does well on smooth and short grass yards. It will not scratch the bottom part of your yard. You should still see that the sweeper doesn’t add too much stress around your yard.
The 42-inch width on the hopper does well in collecting everything around your yard. It can gather leaves and other items in moments. The design can collect materials without building lots of bulk all around. You can also lift up the hopper to clear out the debris when you are ready. The body helps you in getting items out without wasting lots of time.
- You can affix it on the back of a tractor in various positions
- It is easy to empty the hopper
- The fabric around the hopper is sturdy and will not puncture with regular use[/i2pros]
- The wheels add an extra bit of bulk all around
- Takes a bit to set up
Push Sweeper Models
5. Sun Joe AJ801E 13 in. 12 amp Electric Lawn Dethatcher – For Compact Yards
People who have smaller yards can benefit from an electric sweeper. Sun Joe produces this 13-inch 12-amp sweeper with an adjustable deck. The design works for many sweeping purposes, but Sun Joe states that this model is the most ideal for dethatching projects around your yard.
The deck uses five depth positions for all your tasks. The lowest positions are suitable for dethatching tasks.
The sweeper features a 12.6-inch width for covering small spaces around your yard. The cylinder on the inside includes blades for dethatching and for collecting leaves and other bits of debris.
The inside part of the cylinder features a few small points for collecting items. The spring steel tines stay sharp longer and do better in most environments.
The start button connects to the battery and features a trigger for moving the sweeper forward. A safety switch also appears to keep you from accidentally starting it too soon. The design provides protection and control as you use the sweeper around your yard.
- Lightweight at a little under 25 pounds
- Easy to start with a button linking to the motor
- Does not take long to charge
- May not work well when handling grass clippings
- The wheels are small and tough to turn
6. Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper – For a Better Grip
You will appreciate how well the grip feels on the Agri-Fab 45-0218 push lawn sweeper. The sweeper features a great 25-pound body that you can handle without a struggle. The sweeper lets you brush through many items without slipping. The 9.72×2.25 plastic wheels have even grooves that are easy to manage. The 4.5:1 brush to wheel ratio also provides help in scooping up more items.
The brush bristles have even bodies and are thick enough to cover even the smallest bits of debris. There is even coverage all around on each part of the sweeper. You can adjust the height of your sweeper as necessary to help in clearing out your items.
The 7-cubic foot hopper bag is collapsible for storage purposes. The bag can be cleared out by pushing the sweeper upward to tilt everything out. The removal is for when you’re trying to remove all those things you’ve picked up while going over your yard. The debris on the inside will not get in the way of the yard.
- The lightweight body is easy to push around
- The wheels will not leave intense indentations around your yard
- The handle offers a simple grip
- Takes a bit to assemble
- The open body of the hopper could cause things to blow out when it is windy outside
7. Karcher 1.766-303.0 S650 Cleaner – A Quick Option for Paved Spots
Sometimes it helps to have a sweeper that works fast and gets through many places as soon as possible. The Karcher cleaner works faster than a standard broom. It is intended for use on paved spots, including garden paths, driveways, patios, and other sites. It is ideal for when you have trees and other things that litter leaves on these paved areas throughout the year.
The sweeper can handle about 19,000 square feet of space in an hour. It uses two rotating discs at the front to go through all the items you’re trying to clear.
The model uses battery power to get it working. The great news is that it doesn’t take long to charge the battery. The battery will not add lots of weight to the sweeper. The whole array weighs about 22 pounds.
The small onboard container collects waste and keeps it from coming out the other end. It is easy to open the component and dispose of the contents on the inside.
- Easy to push around
- The collapsible handle is easy to adjust
- The 36-inch width is great enough for most uses
- Not intended for use directly on grass surfaces
- Does not feature many height adjustment options
You have to note what you are getting out of the lawn sweeper you wish to use around your property. A sweeper should be something easy to use and manage, but it also has to be effective in collecting all those things off of your yard.
Our recommendation for the best lawn sweeper for your property is the Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper. The model provides a large coverage area while being easy to manage for use. It collects plenty of waste, and it is also easy to remove the hopper and dispose of that waste without littering anything all around.
Might Be Useful: Best Garden Tractor